Alors (that means “so” in French) we went to the boat for the weekend! It was absolutely great even though we did not get up too much, such a pleasure just being on the water.
On Friday evening we had a drink, we walked up the marina and had a good look at a 34’ Ocean Spirit (our 3rd choice of catamaran) it is really beautiful. I think we bumped it up to 2nd choice after our hour long inspection of the outside only. We discussed where to put solar panels and wind chargers. Where to add chairs, how high the guard rails should be, where to add grab rails, the size of the hatches, which hatches should open and which should be for light only etc. It was an excellent in depth discussion and it has deepened our desire. Pity we could not get inside to discuss that in detail too. At the moment it is the best for outside design, very spacious! (Hopefully this does not mean the inside is more cramped).
On Saturday morning it was warm, unlike here at home, so we brushed our teeth, had breakfast and started the motors. I had asked to practise manoeuvring the boat from the slip and returning it again as I needed more confidence before I would be able to sail solo. Out, in, out, in and so on and so forth for a couple of hours, mixed with a little verbal abuse launched at Barry every time things go wrong and practise was done. Barry found this verbal abuse both amusing and endearing, I mentioned if he keeps laughing at me it may escalate to physical abuse. I’m sure you can imagine the ensuing comments of “hit me baby” etc.
Then an afternoon nap for Barry, (Sudoku and crossword time for me) and a couple of leisurely walks to the local shop and back. All made for a relaxing day. On Sunday the weather was a little less pleasant although not terrible so we were back at the docking practise. I am definitely feeling a lot more confident now.
All in all, a successful weekend of docking lessons and further discussions regarding our future catamaran. I also managed to take a couple on snaps so I am loading Kyle’s pictures today, how cute is that swing picture?
I was surfing the web and found a few more families who are either sailing or have sailed with their families, load them up to the inspiration bank. We are going back to the logo designer this week for a new take on the "Yrumoar" design (see the current one below). We discussed a few changes and want to try a few new designs. We need to get the design of the logo made so we can have a few promotional items made for sale. It seems a good way to raise funds especially since I found out it is illegal to ask for donations without getting an NPO number in SA.
Also watch out for the new pages on the site, Rauen had to make a diary for school this week so he will be spending the week loading that onto his page and I’m hoping to add, FAQ this week!

No comments:
Post a Comment