Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Saving Electricy

Wow! Was this week fun, interesting, exciting, informative or what? Let me see if I can rub some of my enthusiasm onto you.

We pretty much decided we are buying the hull, deck and Bulkheads and are going to fit the yacht ourselves, in our own garden. We measured out the space in the front garden and what do you know – perfect fit. We decided we needed 1,5m on each side around the boat to make fitting easy – and presto! It’s like we built our house with the correct size in mind.

When do we start – next year only L But time flies so we are gonna start planning now and when it arrives we will be all set to go!

We also discussed layouts of the boat – different ways we could set it out. I even dreamt about it so much that early Sunday morning I woke up, found some paper and drew my new design. For those of you who don’t know, my art skills are somewhat lacking to put it mildly, but even I am impressed with the results. This kind of gives an indication as to my excitement level.


We went for a day sail on Saturday – wow – that words sums it up. With practically no wind we hoisted both the main and the roller furling Genoa and we were off. We sailed, all be it at a snails pace, from our dock to the island and back, although this took a good 3 – 4 hours we only travelled about 2km total and it was so peaceful you wouldn’t believe.

We took out our binoculars and looked across the water at the other boats. We looked up at the sky at the Gyrocopters, we look at the low flying birds and we chatted and relaxed in the warm sunlight. Really awesome!



Just after we left the boat, whilst still driving out of the marina, I received a very sad phonecall from Rauen’s gran saying her husband had passed away. It is very sad and I had to let Rauen know as soon as we fetched him from Dean’s house. He was very upset too. The funeral is on Friday afternoon – Barry said he will attend with Rauen and me so I am glad about that. Will keep them in my prayers for a while.


We have started to target more towards the boat, decided if we want to really do this thing we should be looking at earlier rather than later so some plans are starting to take shape.

Plan 1: We are only going to hire 1 DVD every 2nd weekend instead of the 8 a weekend we have been.

Plan 2: No take aways – we spend way too much on take aways, from now on Friday night will be hotdogs instead of Pizza. Barry and I will come home for lunch instead of grabbing something on the way. We will save a fortune!

Plan 3: We are going to be conscious of every penny, when we consciously decide not to spend it we are putting it away – every cent we save will earn more in the long run.

Plan 4: We are going to sell everything we do not use, or have not used for 6 months or more. That should be a whopper saving!

Will keep you up to date with how or where we managed to save. Like this weekend, instead of a father's day gift we put the money away!

Speaking of saving money – we had the best saving ever!!! On Wednesday I collected the post from the postbox and opened the electricity bill. I always want to see the bill coz’ we are very conscious of our power usage. They do not read the meter every month, last time was actually in November! (I pay on an average) Anyway – we got a refund in power. Our total power usage for the last 6 months was below the free KW and so we got paid for our electricity saving! Yes, bragging rights for at least a week!

Well done boys for your conscious effort!

We shouldn’t have a problem on the boat with limited power supply!

No comments:

Post a Comment