13th October
Yesterday was a down day, yip I’ll just call it that because how on earth could I possible feel miserable living on a yacht knowing I don’t have to work yet those days still happen.
I woke up feeling great, we were going to beach our boat so we could reattach our saildrive boots which seem to have come loose but that was not to be, instead when high tide arrived another yacht that had been beached was drifting all over the place and we had no choice but to wait for the next day. At this point I felt so despondent I broke down, feeling like we are doomed to stay in Richards Bay forever. Not that it is not beautiful and warm here but I have itchy feet and am tired of waiting.
So I sat here on the boat feeling dreadfully sorry for myself…let’s call it a funk and cried and complained until Barry and I had it out and eventually went for a walk. We strolled along the beach checked the sand where we want to tie up and spoke to the other catamaran owners beached there until we came up with a solution to be able to get this done today. Let’s hope my mood holds and we can actually have Yrumoar up on the sand at high tide for the last job before we head to Durban.
17th October
So Yrumoar was beached, anti-fouled to a new waterline and is now ready for the trip down the coast…again. Barry explained our on the hard again experience so well in his blog I don’t think I can do it justice so here’s another angle.
We are safely back at the walk-on waiting eagerly for a weather window through the rain. We are still trying to find a home for everything on the boat…a never ending job it seems and while this process continues some of the items lying around seem to be finding their correct home. Yesterday I asked Barry to help me move some sheets of marine ply out of Rauen’s bedroom so I could clean it and we ended up cutting it to size and half completing the cosmetic side of the mast repair. A few more days like this and not only will the boat be ship shape but our list will have been dented in the process. Barry says I have a talent for making him do things he has absolutely no intention of doing.
It is raining today and expected to keep this up the rest of the week, so today is washing day…I will have to use a tumble drier but it needs to be done. We also need to get to town for the last few items over the next few days, another great rainy weather outing and if we can find a gap in between to fit the new solar panels that arrived yesterday it will all be perfect…but then this is a boat so I am tempting fate.
18th October
Yesterday was rather successful considering it rained. We managed to get the washing up to date and fill Yrumoar with Diesel. Locked and loaded we are ready to leave when the weather arrives.
I have been watching the weather closely but I can see no window, even to Durban for the next week so it looks like we will be here another week. Guess we should just get a few more jobs ticked off that long list before we head down the coast.
The hole under the mast step where we did a major repair has undergone step 1 and has made an improvement to the look of the saloon. We measured up the new solar panels and will start with that installation today. I, in the meantime, am finding spare moments to wash down every wall, roof and surface area in the boat with a bleach solution to reduce the mould build up. I am trying to complete this before we leave and have a water shortage problem.
The boys still do school in the morning and for most of the afternoon, hurrying to complete their work for the year as there will be little time whilst sailing to do this.
19th October
I spent the whole day washing walls and ceilings in Rauen’s room, going through his clothes to check what fits and what has become too small and erecting his personal belongings on his counter tops and pictures on his walls. I could not believe it but that is the first time I have organised his room since moving here 2 years ago. His selves were always covered in life rings, rain suits and other safety gear I had never stowed and is personal things were in a bag under the counter so I finally got round to doing that yesterday and he is pleased as punch.
Today I am going to continue with this task as his forward lockers need a reinvent. They currently hold our sleeping bags, kitbags, spare paper charts and the like. I need to rearrange them so they are used more efficiently and can hold some of the excess safety gear, the extra life jackets, the extra harnesses etc. We are certified to carry 10 passengers but only have 4 on board and all this extra gear is driving me crazy with the locker space it take up. I want to keep 4 of everything together and the balance can be stowed for a time when we have visitors on board for a sailing excursion.
The other thing I still need to do is sort the starboard passage lockers, they are full of tools and goodies and I need to organise them so we can find anything we need in a jiffy. It has taken this long to do this because wow, what a boring job, but I have realised a necessary one.
Going into town is also on our agenda…if the weather doesn’t turn sunny we will probably just do a town trip and forget the boat work for the day as Barry needs to work with a little epoxy to get the solar panels finally fitted into place. We do need a few things before we leave, guess we will have to take a taxi and walk our way through town like usual.
22nd October
We went for a sail on MaXscene with Kevin and Donna on Saturday afternoon to test out a Parasailor, a new type of light wind sail. On our way out of the harbour mouth we heard a monohull calling Port Control of permission to enter the harbour.
We all picked up on the name as it was Cat’s paw 4 and we all assumed it would be a catamaran. Anyway, we had a great sail and the parasailor is an awesome light wind sail, absolutely beautiful in appearance and relatively easy to resock when necessary. We would probably buy one if it wasn’t out of our price range.
Last night after the race, which MaXscene happened to win, we headed up to bar and sure enough the Canadians from Cat’s Paw 4 were there. We got to chatting and invited them back to our boat. We got along famously and we are actually looking forward to the braai this evening to meet up with them again.
We also had some news on the weather front as this morning I discovered a possible window opening up for Saturday/Sunday. So we could be out of here as soon as this weekend!
29th October
No, we won’t be out of here this weekend…I guess fate is standing in our way at the moment and ensuring we don’t leave Richards Bay until the time is right.
On Saturday morning in the pouring rain, Barry and I took a walk to the Tuzi Gazi waterfront to get our flight plan stamped. I was dressed like little yellow riding hood with my yellow rain jacket and Barry had his luminous raincoat on.
We got checked out with no problems and returned to the boat to stow the final items. Sunday morning, after a sleepless night, we rose at 2am to prepare to leave. The weather was not playing ball however, and the predicted Northeast winds did not fill in. We watched helplessly as the wind shifted from West to South west and a thunder storm brewed overhead.
We decided to wait until sunrise at about 4:30am and see what develops. By 5am we decided to leave the dock and go out to have a look if the wind would shift to the predicted direction within the next hour.
We had a group of farewell wishes on the dock as we unhooked and departed. Barry and Rauen hoisted the main sail while I steered us towards the harbour mouth. We got permission to exit and once outside, promptly decided we would return.
The wind had yet to shift, visibility was poor, the sea state was uncomfortable and we were not going to motor down to Durban in the rain. We had spoken about the sail combinations we wanted to try on the way down and without a following wind it seemed we would not even be able to accomplish our goals en route. So we turned around and headed back into the harbour with our tail between our legs.
What can I say…we will have to find another window that actually materialises and works in our favour. We have some things to try on the 1st leg before the 2nd leg of our trip along the notorious wild coast.
5th November
Once again we went out sailing yesterday on Maxscene, our neighbours. We had a great time, even though we did not win the offshore race.
We have managed to keep the boat in a state ready for sailing as soon as the weather turns, which appears to be either Friday or Saturday, so we should be heading to Durban next weekend. This window is far more pleasant than the previous one so I don’t see a problem.
I am actually looking forward to leaving at this point, a new environment will do us all some good.