28th July 2010
Yesterday afternoon our first batch of Home-Schooling materials arrived! A great big box packed with awesome books. I bought only a few subjects to gauge the level both my kids were at before I ordered the full package for each age group.
We are very pleased with the new purchase and will be ordering the rest of the years books during September month to ensure we receive it all before the end of December, that way we can start the new year with a bang.
I spent the evening, after attending the Annual Maths Quiz at the school, reading the “manual” that is a compulsory purchase with your first order. This manual explained all the “Engine rooms” or teachers packs that I will receive with each subject as well the information relating to government issues and a few anecdotes from her own experiences both with her children and other home schooling mom’s.
The engine rooms give a detailed breakdown of what is expected from the child during the lesson and how to present the lesson to your child. For example, Read aloud page 1 – 3, write down unknown vocabulary in your word lists, Write a paragraph explaining the subject matter of the lesson (10 points must be noted) etc.
I enjoy this set-up, as trying to decide what, when and how to teach all the subject matter from a list of topics is not my idea of fun, we are trying to sail around the world not reinvent schooling for the kids!
I also placed the order for the new stickers for Yrumoar. We will be getting 2 large stickers for the port and starboard bows as well as 2 smaller stickers for the stairs aft on both port and starboard sides. We decided to go for the back of the stairs as we will be erecting some stainless steel work off the back of the dive platform to attach our tender as well as a gas braai and a stainless steel sink for cleaning and gutting fish. This stainless will completely block out any signage we place on the back of the yacht unless it is on the stair area. I can’t wait to perform the name changing ceremony but I am yet to get the name changed with SAS so it will have to wait until that has been done (September looks promising)….that will be a great party!
We have also opened a group on Facebook. This group will allow everyone to follow us and see what we are up to as we can post comments and send out invitations (like the name changing ceremony party invites) so join the group if you want to stay informed, just click here and add your name to our growing list of followers to receive all the invites and updates on the go. You can also post comments yourself or start a discussion for any questions or concerns you have. Go on, join the fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment